Connect with us

Local

Claims of underhand deals in Free State school building projects dismissed

Published

on

Staff Reporter

The Free State Department of Education and the Presidency have described as unfounded and misleading allegations that the former awarded a multimillion-rand contract to Shanduka Foundation to build two schools in the province without going to tender.

In two separate statements released over the weekend, the provincial education department and the Presidency said a story published by The Star newspaper last week claiming criminal charges had been laid against President Cyril Ramaphosa – as a former chairperson of Shanduka Foundation – was misleading and erroneous because the schools were built under a matched funding partnership.

The Presidency went on to say that Shanduka, now called the Cyril Ramaphosa Foundation, never benefited financially from the project.

“For the record, Shanduka was not awarded any tender by the Free State Department of Education,” read part of the statement issued by provincial education spokesperson Howard Ndaba.

“Our non-profit partnership with Kagiso Shanduka Trust (KST) has played a vital role in our quest . . . to ensure that quality learning and teaching takes place in every classroom, every day,” added the statement.

It said to date, this has been done through the development and implementation of the District Whole School Development (DWSD) programme targeting schools in Fezile Dabi and Motheo districts in the province.

Among the benefits, said the provincial education department, schools that perform above set targets qualify for science laboratories, libraries, computer centres, maths centres, multimedia centres and sports facilities.

“To date, 334 new school facilities have been built, 285 facilities renovated, 924 small businesses supported and 3 213 temporary jobs created,” said the department.

The Presidency said Shanduka is a non-profit organisation established by Ramaphosa in 2002.

It said the organisation has made substantial contributions to the development of township and rural schools.

“In 2013 the Shanduka Foundation committed R100 million to a school development project in the Free State alongside Kagiso Trust which also made a R100 million commitment. The Free State Department of Education made a commitment to match these contributions,” said the Presidency.

It said the KST has facilitated the contribution of around R280 million from different foundations and private sector donors for the project.

“Neither President Ramaphosa nor any companies in which he held interests has ever received any benefit from school construction in the Free State or anywhere else in the country. On the contrary, both President Ramaphosa and Shanduka have made substantial financial contributions towards the construction and development of schools,” said the Presidency.

It said Ramaphosa was neither a director nor a shareholder in the Shanduka Group in 2015, the time he is alleged to have “persuaded” the provincial department to award the “non-existent contract” since he left business in November 2014.

Local

Masks no longer mandatory when outdoors

Published

on

Staff Reporter

South Africans will no longer be required to wear masks while outdoors, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Tuesday night when he gave an update on national efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.

The wearing of masks indoors however remains mandatory.

“As before, it is mandatory to wear a cloth mask or similar covering over the nose and mouth when in public indoor spaces,” said Ramaphosa in a televised address.

“However, a mask is not required when outdoors,” he added.

“This means that we still need to wear masks when in shops, malls, offices, factories, taxes, buses, trains or any other indoor public space.

“But we do not need to wear masks when walking on the street or in an open space, when exercising outdoors or when attending an outdoor gathering.”

The president said after four waves of infection, fewer people are becoming severely ill and requiring hospitalisation.

He said there are far fewer deaths than before.

“Our scientists tell us that this is mainly because some 60 to 80 percent of the population has some form of immunity to the virus, either from previous infection or vaccination . . . we are now ready to enter a new phase in our management of the pandemic,” said Ramaphosa.

About 48 percent of all adults are believed to have received at least one vaccine dose.

Further to that, both indoor and outdoor venues can now take up to 50 percent of their capacity provided that the criteria for entrance are proof of vaccination or a COVID-19 test not older than 72 hours.

“But where there is no provision for proof of vaccination or a COVID test, then the current upper limit will remain – of 1 000 people indoors and 2 000 people outdoors,” he explained.

This change to the restrictions on gatherings, according the president, will be of great benefit to the sporting, cultural, entertainment and events industries, among others.

The maximum number of people permitted at a funeral will increase from 100 to 200.

However, night vigils as well as after-funeral and ‘after-tears’ gatherings are still not allowed.

The regulations on social distancing are also being changed, requiring that a space of one metre is maintained between persons in all settings except schools.

There are also changes to the regulations on international travel.

Travellers entering South Africa will need to show proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test not older than 72 hours.

All unvaccinated travellers entering the country who want to be vaccinated will be offered a vaccination.

All measures are taking effect from this Wednesday.

Ramaphosa said in deciding which restrictions to ease and which to keep in place, they  also looked to the experiences of other countries, including those where the complete lifting of restrictions has been followed by a surge in infections and deaths.

Continue Reading

Local

Man gets six life terms for raping own daughter

Published

on

Staff Reporter

A 36-year-old man from Clocolan has been sentenced to six life terms by the Free State High Court after he was found guilty of raping his 14-year-old daughter.

In a statement, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said Judge Pina Mathebula sentenced the father, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his daughter, for raping her six times between May and July 2021.

“The victim was staying with the accused, his wife, who is her stepmother, and two other siblings,” read part of the statement issued by NPA regional spokesperson Phaladi Shuping on Thursday.

“In May 2021, the accused told his wife that his late brother told him in a dream ‘to get rid of a tokoloshe that was inside the victim’. The very same night of the alleged dream, the accused raped the victim. The last rape incident took place on 25 July 2021,” added the statement.

The court, sitting in Ladybrand, heard that the wife tried to reprimand him but he assaulted her.

As if not enough, he overpowered and raped the victim, despite her cries and his wife’s reprimands.

He threatened to kill both of them if they were to tell anyone of what he did.

A day later, the accused’s sister visited the family and the wife told her what the husband had done to the child.

The sister reported his brother to the police and he was arrested.

In aggravation, state prosecutor Advocate Moipone Moroka submitted a victim impact report facilitated by Bulelani Mothabeng in which the victim said that she thanks her aunt for coming to her rescue because if it was not for her, she would still be her father’s sex slave.

Moroka further argued that the scourge of violence against women and children has reached an alarming proportion and can be described as a pandemic.

“What aggravates the matter is that the father raped his own daughter multiple times over a period of three months and this means he had ample opportunity to reflect on his actions, but he continued betraying the trust his daughter had in him,” said Moroka.

The father was sentenced to six life sentences for rape and two years for assault and the sentences were ordered to run concurrently.

Continue Reading

Local

Premier mourns journalist

Published

on

Staff Reporter

Premier Sisi Ntombela has described the late SABC journalist Thabo Katsande as a disciplined, dedicated and hardworking man.

She said this in her special tribute to Katsande, who was based in Bloemfontein, during a memorial service held at the Rose Hall at the Mangaung Metropolitan offices on Thursday.

The journalist passed away at a Pretoria hospital last Saturday following a short illness.

“The Thabo I knew was focused on his work,” said an emotional Ntombela.

“The Thabo I knew was passionate about his trade and wanted to see journalism, particularly in the Free State, grow in leaps and bounds,” she added.

The premier took the opportunity to urge people to value their work and strive to improve their communities as the province is faced with a high unemployment rate.

“We live in an era where some people do not value their jobs . . . and a sense of entitlement has consumed them. Thabo’s work ethic was admirable,” she pointed out.

Ntombela described Katsande as a fearless and fair journalist who showed both the good and the bad through his work.

“Through his work, Thabo helped us to tell . . . the Free State story,” she said.

“He captured the minds of the people with the way he told our stories, the good and the bad.

“The beautiful and the not so beautiful – Thabo told it all, without fear or favour.

“The media fraternity has lost a giant and . . . it will be poorer without him.

“No longer shall we see that charismatic man running around with a camera looking for that perfect shot.”

Katsande will be laid to rest in Bluemgumbosch, eastern Free State, this Saturday.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021. The Free Stater. All Rights Reserved